Austria Kufstein Tourism

Kufstein is an old Tirolese border town in the lower Inn valley, situated at the point where the river cuts its way through the Alps between the Kaisergebirge in the east and the truncated cone of Pendling in the southwest. Possession of the town was much disputed during the Middle Ages, and the imposing stronghold of Feste Kufstein was built

here. Kufstein is now a popular holiday resort, with attractive lake scenery in the surrounding area as well as good walking and climbing in the Kaisergebirge. It plays an important part in trade and traffic between Bavaria and Tirol.

A stroll through the town is very rewarding. Parts still remain of the old town walls, including the moated bastion. Römerhofgasse is a delightful part of the old town of Kufstein. From there the lively Unterer Stadtplatz, with the Marienbrunnen (fountain with a statue of Our Lady), extends over the River Inn. Near the Unterer Stadtplatz stand the Rathaus and the parish church of St Vitus, a Late Gothic hall-church built in 1400 on the site of an earlier Gothic church. Not far from the Rathaus will be found a Planetarium, the only one in Tirol.

Austria Klagenfurt Tourism

Klagenfurt, capital of Carinthia, lies on the edge of the wide Klagenfurt basin, which is bounded on the south by the wooded ridge of the Sassnitz range, with the Karawanken rearing up behind. Although Klagenfurt is an important traffic junction and a busy industrial and commercial town, it has an attractive old quarter with picturesque little
lanes and historic old buildings. It is also now a university town. Founded about 1161 as a market village, Klagenfurt was granted its municipal charter in 1252. The old town was destroyed by fire in 1514, whereupon the provincial Estates of Carinthia petitioned the Emperor Maximilian I to grant them possession of the now impoverished little town. It was duly transferred to them in 1518, and Klagenfurt then displaced St Veit an der Glan as capital of the province and began to expand. Between 1527 and 1558 a canal was constructed to supply water for the moat surrounding the town, and this still links Klagenfurt with the Wörther See. The line of the old fortifications is marked by a circuit of streets, the Ring, around the old part of the town, which today has many parks and gardens. Klagenfurt is the birthplace of Robert Musil (1880-1942), who became world-famous for his novel "The Man without Qualities", and of Ingeborg Bachmann (1926-73), well known for her lyric writings. A literary competition is held every year in Klagenfurt.

Austria Kitzbuhel Tourism

Kitzbühel, one of the largest and best-known winter sports resorts in Austria, lies in a wide basin in the valley of the Kitzbüheler Ache, at the foot of the Kitzbüheler Horn, on the busy road from St Johann to the Thurn Pass. Kitzbühel rose to prosperity in the 16th and 17th C., thanks to its copper and silver mines. It is now a fashionable
resort ("Kitz") catering to an international public. Kitzbühel and the surrounding countryside are excellent for skiing, and there are also tennis courts and three golf courses. Various events are held every year, including the International Hahnenkamm Ski Races in January.

The old core of the town, built on a long ridge of hill, consists of two streets with handsome old gabled houses, the Vorderstadt and the Hinterstadt. Many of the houses and other buildings are in the typical style of the Lower Inn valley.

Innsbruck Tourism

Innsbruck, the old provincial capital of Tirol, lies in the wide Inn valley at the intersection of two important traffic routes, between Germany and Italy and between Vienna and Switzerland. From all over the city there are vistas of the ring of mountains which rear up above the gentler terraces of lower ground on which it lies. To the north

rise the jagged peaks of the Nordkette (North Chain), in the Karwendel range; to the south, above the wooded Bergisel ridge, the Saile (2,403m/7,887ft) and the Serles group (2,718m/8,920ft); and to the southeast, above the Lanser Köpfe, the rounded summit of the Patscherkofel (2,247m/7,375ft), so popular with skiers. Innsbruck still preserves its medieval core, the historic old town with its narrow, twisting streets and tall houses in Late Gothic style, many of them with handsome oriel windows and fine doorways. The newer parts of the town lie outside this central nucleus, particularly to the east and north. New sports facilities were built for the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympic Games, and these are now the scene every year of national and international sporting contests. Innsbruck is a university town and the see of a bishop, but also has a variety of industry and holds regular trade fairs. Thanks to the mountains which shelter it from the north winds it benefits from a mild climate and is the major tourist center of Tirol. Bronze Age remains found here point to the establishment of human settlement on the site at a very early stage. Evidence has also been found of later occupation by the Illyrians and the Romans. Soon after the beginning of the Christian era a small Roman fort (Veldidena) was established in the plain bordering the river, but this was later destroyed. The site was occupied in the 12th C. by a monastery of Premonstratensian Canons, which took over the Roman name in the form Wilten. The real foundation of the town dates from 1180, when the Count of Andechs established a market settlement at a bridge over the river (Innspruke, "Inn bridge"). In 1239 Innsbruck was granted the status of a town, and thereafter it was surrounded by walls and towers. In 1363 it passed to a junior branch of the Habsburgs, and from 1420 to 1665 was a ducal residence. Under the Emperor Maximilian I (1490-1519) it became an administrative capital and a focal point for art and culture. At the first population census in 1567 it numbered 5,050 citizens. The university was founded in 1669. In 1703 the Bavarians tried unsuccessfully to take Innsbruck and the whole of Tirol, but under pressure from Napoleon Tirol was ceded to Bavaria in 1806. Later, in spite of a successful war of liberation and victories in battles on the Bergisel (1809, under the leadership of Andreas Hofer), Tirol was again returned to Bavaria. The Congress of Vienna (1814-15), however, assigned it to Austria, and Innsbruck now became capital of the province of Tirol. The construction of the Brenner railroad (1867) marked the beginning of a period of industrialization and steady growth

Imst Tourism

Imst, an ancient little town beautifully situated on a terrace above the Inn at the mouth of the Gurgl valley, is the most important road junction on the Innsbruck-Landeck route and a good base for the Ötztal and Pitztal. The "Schemenlaufen", an interesting and picturesque Shrovetide folk festival, is held every four years. In the old world

Unterstadt (Lower Town) is the Rathaus (town hall), and nearby, by the town square, the local museum (Heimatmuseum).

The parish church (15th C.) in the Oberstadt (Upper Town) is interesting; it has external frescos on its west and south walls and a representation of St Christopher has been restored. There is a chairlift through the Rosengartl gorge to Alploch (2,050m/6,725ft), south of the Muttekopfhütte (1,934m/6,345ft) below the southeastern side of the Muttekopf (2,777m/9,111ft). This region offers opportunities for skiing, cross-country skiing and sledging.

Gloggnitz Tourism

Gloggnitz (442m/1,450ft; pop. 6,300) nestles in the Schwarza valley northeast of the Semmering pass. This little town is a popular summer resort, the starting point of the road and railroad over the Semmering and a good base for exploring the Raxalpe and Wechsel area, a mountain range rich in forests and pastureland, which forms the boundary

between Lower Austria and Styria. On the Schlossberg stands Schloss Gloggnitz, a former Benedictine abbey (1084-1803), with remains of 16th C. defensive walls. The Gothic church was remodeled in Baroque style in the 18th C. and given a stucco flat ceiling; also to be seen are a statue of the Virgin (14th C.) and wall paintings from 1597. There is also a modern church, designed by Clement Holzmeister, the Christkönigkirche (Christ the King, 1933)

Feldkirch Tourism

Feldkirch, the old district capital in Vorarlberg, the most westerly town in Austria, lies some 35km/22mi south of Bregenz, where the Ill carves its way through a rocky gorge from the Wallgau into the Rhine valley. Divided into the districts of Tisis, Tosters and Nofels, it adjoins the Principality of Liechtenstein. Feldkirch is an international

rail and road junction on the route via the Arlberg to Innsbruck and to the tourist centers near the Arlberg and in the Grosses Walsertal. Now that the Bregenz-Arlberg-Innsbruck motorway bypasses Feldkirch through the Arlberg Tunnel the town is less disturbed by traffic. The Feldkirch region was inhabited during the Bronze Age. About 1190 Count Hugo I of Montfort built the Schattenburg (see below) and founded a settlement at its foot. In 1376 Count Rudolf of Montfort granted the town its "Great Letter of Freedom" and one year later sold it to the Habsburgs. Since then, apart from the period 1806-14 when the whole of Vorarlberg formed part of the Kingdom of Bavaria, Feldkirch has been Austrian. In 1884 the Arlberg Railway was opened; the line from Bregenz to Bludenz had been in operation since 1872. Feldkirch was the birthplace of the doctor and geographer Hieronymus Münzer (1437-1508), of the painter Wolf Huber (after 1480-1539), an important member of the "Danube School", and of the humanist, mathematician and astronomer Georg Joachim Rheticus (1514-76), who disseminated the new map of the world drawn up by his teacher Copernicus.

Eisenstadt Tourism

Eisenstadt, capital of the province of Burgenland, on the south-east fringes of the Leithagebirge, some 15km/9mi west of the Neusiedler See, has aristocratic traditions. In the 17th and 18th century this was the principal seat of the great Esterházy family, who left a distinctive imprint on the town and helped it to prosper. Prince Nikolaus

Esterházy patronized Josef Haydn (1732-1809), who was Kapellmeister here for 30 years. Haydn's house, now a museum, is open to visitors, and he is buried in the Bergkirche above the town. Eisenstadt is mentioned in a chronicle of 1118 and in a document of 1264. It was granted a municipal charter in 1373. From 1445-1648 it was in pledge to the Habsburgs; thereafter it became a royal free city within Hungary and the residence of the Esterházys. In 1921 the town became reunited with Austria, and in 1925 was made the capital of Burgenland; it is the smallest of the Austrian provincial capitals and since 1960 has also been the see of a bishop.

Dornbirn Tourism

Dornbirn, the newest and also largest town in Vorarlberg, lies only a few miles south of Bregenz at the edge of the Bregenzerwald on the edge of the wide valley of the Rhine. Since the end of the Second World War in particular it has developed to become the economic center of Vorarlberg; many well-known textile and engineering firms are

established here and trade fairs are regularly held. First mentioned in records in 895 under the name of Torrinpuirron, it has existed under its current name only since 1901 and now extends right up to the Rhine.

Bregenz

A 2 Land: Vorarlberg Altitude: 395m/1,296ft Population: 27,000 Bregenz, the capital of Vorarlberg, lies on the southeastern shores of Lake Constance at the foot of the Pfänder, which links up with the Bregenzer Wald. The town extends southwards as far as the Bregenzer Ache, and is divided into the Lower and Upper Towns (Unterstadt and Oberstadt)

Bregenz hosts festivals and has numerous cultural institutions. On the site of a Bronze Age settlement the Celts built a fortress which was conquered by the Romans in 15 B.C. The Roman fort of Brigantium developed into an important trading post. Alemannic tribes settled here from A.D. 450. After being Christianized by Gaelic monks beyond the eighth C., the town became the seat of the Counts of Bregenz. Following an eventful history it formed part of Bavaria between 1805-14. In 1919 Bregenz was made the capital of Vorarlberg.

Bad Ischl Tourism

The little spa of Bad Ischl, in the heart of the Salzkammergut, lies on a peninsula between the River Traun and its tributary the Ischl, surrounded by wooded hills. It was for many years (1854-1914) the summer residence of the Emperor Francis Joseph I, and much of the town shows the architectural style of the old Austro-Hungarian monarchy, when
it became the rendezvous of the fashionable world of the day. Bad Ischl, a town of trim gardens and handsome villas, still attracts many visitors as a brine spa and health resort.

In the town center is Ferdinand - Auböck - Platz, with the parish church (Pfarrkirche, 1753). The Pfarrgasse, an elegant shopping street, leads to the famous Esplanade, with villas dating from the Imperial period.

Blogger tarafından desteklenmektedir.